Thursday, June 16, 2005

Introduction

Why did I decide to begin a journey into the abyss of the Blog? I am tired of it all. Tired of Michael Jackson. Tired of Paris Hilton and reality television. Most of all, I am tired of today's news media which has lost its sense of journalistic purpose to join the ranks of the entertainment industry. I must ask the question, "when is enough, enough?"

Today, the autopsy report of Terri Schiavo is front page news. With all due respect to Terri's family, why must we continue to dwell on the death of one terminally ill handicapped woman while we ignore the 30,000 people who starve to death each day? Enough is enough. For the last 4 months, the nation has been glued to their seats watching Michael Jackson face trial for child molestation. Did the press use the opportunity to comment on the fact that about 1 million U.S. children are the victims of abuse and neglect each year? They did not. Modern "journalism" in the United States has joined the ranks of the entertainment industry - just another version of "reality" television. The liberal media is guilty. The conservative talk shows are guilty. Our society is guilty. I am guilty. Genocide, rape, child abuse, starvation, poverty -- this is our world. It's time to recognize it. I'ts time to take responsibility for it.

I am not a hippie or a tree-hugger. I am not a liberal. I am a religious white male who is a professional in the U.S. Army. I am a poster boy for white middle-class America. Based on my self-description, the liberal media would infer that I am a person who cares about wealth and self, with complete disregard to the world around me. Society may accept this assumption, but I do not. I would argue that the label that I have been given is a perfect description of the news media itself. The media would have us believe that they give a crap. The fact is they do give a crap - about the almighty dollar.

No comments: