Friday, June 17, 2005

Oprah

Today I decided to allow a good friend of mine to choose the topic of my next post. With a chuckle he chose, "Oprah Winfrey". He knows me. I am a conservative white male - a fact that defines me as a racist, sexist pig. Do I watch the Oprah Show? No. Will I ever? Not likely. Her feministic optimism threatens the protective shell of pesimissm which defines my masculinity. Oprah was recently nominated as one of the 100 greatest Americans in history. As a white, middle-class male I obligated to be offended that a black woman has been nominated for this award while some of the country's finest dead white men have been overlooked. Time for a reality check my friend.

The world needs more Oprah Winfreys. While I certainly do not consider myself a fan of the celebrity, I recognize the sincerity of her efforts to help the less fortunate of the world. This is a refreshing change from the onslaught of profane nonsense that the television networks successfully sell as "reality". Oprah is one of the most influencial and financially successful women in the world, and she has chosen to use her resources to help others. While primetime reality television continues to cater to a society of fools, Oprah attempts to quietly help women deal with the real world - spouse abuse, substance abuse, mental illness, poverty, starving kids in Africa. Her particular approach certainly doesn't appeal to my inate angry white maleness, but I can forgive her this as she is, after all, neither angry nor a white male. So my friend, that's what I think of Oprah Winfrey.

Oh, and before I forget, Donald Trump, Dan Rather, and Michael Savage can kiss my white ass.

No comments: